CoCA's 24th Annual 24-hour Art Marathon & Auction
Celebrating our 35th Anniversary, we are proud to announce the CoCA New Wave Ball & Auction, our 24th Annual 24-hour Art Marathon and Auction.
About the Art Marathon & Auction:
CoCA’s 24th Annual 24-Hour Art Marathon & Auction is a three-day celebration of contemporary art. Held at the Summit Building in Seattle (420 E Pike St), the events starts at 10am Thursday, November 10 when over 20 artists embark on a 24-hour journey where they paint, draw, collage, spray and wax their way to over 100 new works of art. For this years marathon and auction we are throwing it back to CoCA's first year, 1981. It was the New Wave era. Glam it up and pull on those wristbands, studded belts (and hot pink?)!
We've put together a stellar list of artists for this year's event including: Juli Adams, Zeynep Banu Alev, Crystal Barbre, CASH, Casey Curran, Julie Devine, Jessica Dodge, Braden Duncan, Galvanic Games, Aaron Haba, Gabriel Marquez, Hanna Myers, Kemba Opio, Kyle Rees, Erika Rier, Sara Takako-Skinner, Mackenzie Stratton, Robin Walker, Casey Weldon, Leslie West, Daniel John Williams, and Junko Yamamoto. Plus Daniel Carrillo will be back creating tin-type portraits for you on site during the preview party on Thursday, November 10!
These artists are preparing to paint, cut, design, melt, fabricate, code, photograph, glue, snip, draw, wire, and sew over 100 phenomenal new works of art during the frenetic, controlled chaos that is the CoCA 24-Hour Art Marathon.
Schedule of Events:
On the evening of Thursday, November 10, we hold our popular Art Preview Party during Capitol Hill Art Walk where the public is invited to preview the completed works and hoist a glass of beer in celebration. On Saturday, November 12, these freshly minted works of art will be auctioned off by the indomitable and entertaining auctioneer, Laura Michalek. Guests will be treated to a sumptuous seated dinner.
The entire event launches at 10AM on Thursday, November 10 with 24 hours of controlled chaos as 20+ emerging and established artists paint, draw, wax, construct, collage, spray, write and sculpt their way to creating nearly 100 new works of art to be auctioned off at the New Wave Ball & Auction on Saturday, November 12. Everyone is welcome to come watch the artists in action during the Marathon.
Join the ongoing cacophony at the Art Party on Thursday, November 10, from 6-9pm during Capitol Hill Art Walk. Meet the artists and get a peek at works in progress. Admission by donation.
THE AUCTION GALA
On Saturday, November 12 doors open at 5:30pm for CoCA's popular silent and live auctions with the effervescent Laura Michalek, our auctioneer and guide for the evening. While you decide which of the pieces you'll be bidding on, enjoy complimentary tasty beverages from Columbia Winery and Elysian Brewing with a cash bar featuring Sparkle Donkey Tequila. You'll be seated for a sumptuous dinner courtesy of New Roots Organics and Underwood Stables then groove on out the door to the new wave beats of DJ Jesse Milden.
To further our mission to support contemporary art, CoCA offers 50% of all auction sales back to the participating artists so the higher you bid, the more you directly help artists thrive!
Early Bird Auction Tickets Special: Limited tickets available for $95.00 ($99.32 w/service fee), September 10 through October 1, or for first 75 seats sold.
New Wave Ball and Auction: $140.00 ($145.89 w/service fee)
CoCA's 24th Annual Fundraiser includes silent and live auctions of art, plus seated dinner and drinks
Reserve a Table of Eight Seats: $760.00 ($787.59 w/service fee)
Purchase a table so all eight of your guests can sit together. Best option if you want to reserve best seats in the house plus you get the early bird rate per seat - always!
Support CoCA with a Donation: $50.00 ($50.00 w/service fee)
Help us reach our Raise the Paddle goal ahead of time and/or in lieu of attending the event.
SAVE THE DATES:
CoCA 24-hour Art Marathon Artist Preview Party
November 10, 2016, 6:00pm
CoCA New Wave Ball & Auction
November 12, 2016, 5:30pm
Where: Summit Building 420 E. Pike Street
Out sincerest thanks to our amazing sponsors!:
And as a generous show of their support of the CoCA Art Marathon, our sponsor, Blick Art Materials is offering 15% off of purchases of $25 or more, and 30% off custom framing, Oct 17-Nov 27! Access the coupons here: http://bit.ly/BlickSeattleCoCA2016
Douglas Home Remedy Dick's Drive-In New Roots Organics
Grey Matter Partners, Inc.
Brimmer & Heeltap Underwood Stables/Ocho
Essential Baking Company
Morfey's Cake Shop
Metropolitan Market Bakery
The Collage Salon
Ken's Market Greenwood
McQuesten Framing and Fine Art Services
CoCA's 2016 24-Hour Art Marathon & Auction Gala
Some of our incredible volunteers at the 2015 Marathon and Auction. We couldn't do it without you!
We'd love you to be a part of this massive fundraising event for one of Seattle's most colorful arts organizations. Meet new people, learn a new skill or show off your talents, fulfill a philanthropic desire, feel great about supporting living contemporary artists.
Marathon Volunteer Positions
Wednesday, November 9, 7pm - Friday, November 11, 11am
- Set-up crew (6-8): Wednesday, 7:30pm-Midnight (or earlier).
- Administrative Assistant (2): Various times. Should have good computer skills: excellent at Word and Excel. Experience with Photoshop, InDesign, PHP, HTML and Google Drive all a plus.
- Artist Helpers (2) Thursday, 7:30am-11:30am.
- Artist/Event Photographers (3) Various shifts available. Help needed Thursday at 10am-Friday at 10am, Saturday, 5:30pm-10pm.
- Daytime Artists’ Liaison (2) Various shifts available. Help needed Thursday, 10am-Thursday 6pm.
- Overnight Artists’ Liaison (2) Various shifts available. Help needed Thursday 9pm through Friday 10am.
- Art Party Helpers (6-8) Thursday, 5pm-10:30pm.
- Sign in Table (3-4) Thursday, 5:30-9pm
- Merchandise Table (1) Thursday, 5:30-9pm
- Security (2-3) Thursday 5pm-10pm, Saturday 5pm-10:30pm.
Auction Volunteer Positions
Friday, November 11-Saturday, November 12
All auction volunteers, with the exception of the set up and clean up crews, should be prepared to stay the entire duration of the auction. We will try to schedule you so that you don't have too much down time. Please dress to impress (with appropriate shoes if you're standing). We are currently seeking donations of food for our volunteers; if you have a serious food allergy, please plan on covering your own needs.
- Marathon Clean Up/ Auction Set Up (10) Friday, 11:00am-7pm.
- Technical Assistant (1-2): Friday, 1pm-7pm, Saturday, 1pm-11pm.
- Art Photographer and Slide Show prep (2) Friday, 11am-completed.
- Art Photography Support and Art Handler (1-2) Friday, 11am-completed.
- Art Data Entry (1) Friday, 11am-completed.
- Event Photographer (2) Time TBD. Must be approved by lead photographer.
- Administrative Assistant (2): Saturday, 3pm-11pm.
- Box Office/Door (2-3) Saturday, 5:30pm-9:30pm.
- Bar (3) Saturday, 4:30pm-10:00pm. WA State License required.
- Food Servers (4-6): Saturday, 4:30-10pm. Must have current WA State food handler's card.
- Art Wrappers (6) Saturday, 7p-11pm. Must be fast, have previous art handling experience, be cautious around pieces that are fragile.
- Coat Check (2) Saturday, 5:30-10:30pm.
- Guest Registration & Check-Out (4) Saturday, 4:30-10:30pm. Qualities Needed: calm under pressure, quick, warm personality, trouble-shooter, strong organizational skills, multi-tasker, experience with online forms and credit card swipers.
- Check-out Expediters (2): Saturday, 7-10:30pm.
- Auctioneer Assistant (1): Saturday, 4:30-10:00pm. Run silent and live auction crews (with their crew leaders). Must have previous experience.
- Auction Spotters (2-4): Saturday, 7 -10:00pm. Qualities Needed: assertive and fun personality, enthusiastic while not disrupting the auction, the auctioneer or bidders, ability to read non-verbal cues, attentive to auctioneer needs, high school pep rally experience helpful but not necessary. This is a standing position.
- "Vannas" (3-5): Saturday, 7-10:00pm. Carry art onto floor for guests to preview as Auctioneer introduces it. Move across stage/through crowd as bidding occurs, engage with any bidding wars.
- Clerk Recorder (3): Saturday, 7-10:00pm. Record all sales made by the Auctioneer. Qualities Needed: strong concentration, focus on one task, ability to ignore outside noise, good with numbers, trouble-shooter, spontaneous, legible writing, ability to complete paperwork.
- Greeters (2): Saturday, 5-8pm. Welcome auction attendees as they enter the venue.
- Runner (2): Saturday, 7-10:00pm. Serve as a point person for the Auctioneer. Qualities Needed: overall sense of auction organization, staff, volunteers, and facility layout, ability to problem-solve, assertive and organized, fast mover.
- Silent Auction Monitors (2-3) Saturday, 5-9:30pm
- Security (2-3) Saturday 5pm-10:30pm.
- Clean Up (20) Saturday, 10pm-12am. All hands on deck! If you have a car or truck and can help us move items back to CoCA we will kiss you.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your top 3 choices, and we will follow up with more information.
All times are estimated and will be confirmed; plan on arriving 20 minutes before your shift begins. If you’re not sure what you’d like to do, feel free to email email@example.com with your available times and interests. The planning committee meets most Monday evenings on Capitol Hill. You are welcome to join us if you’d like to get more involved.